Monday, February 08, 2010

Road Tripping with Moody Blues



10 years ago, if you'd told me that I would own two bikes some day, I would have had a hearty laugh! Aside from the fact that at 22 I had never come close to riding a bike, owning a bike was a far off dream because I didn't have any idea how I would ever earn enough to buy one! I had no clue what I wanted to do or where I wanted to go in life (let alone HOW I wanted to get there)!

Somewhere in 2001, I bought my first bike - the Bajaj Pulsar 150cc. It was the first thing I ever really owned (even though my mom helped with the down payment)! It was probably the first time a sense of responsibility set in. I had to work if I wanted to pay off my bike loan and there was no way in hell anyone was going to take my bike away from me! My first bike also helped fix--to some extent--my cracked ego. I still remember an ex-flame telling me, "you really should learn how to ride a bike!" It makes me laugh now, but not knowing how to handle a bike can be very debilitating for a 22 year old man! But the reason I will always have fond memories of that bike is...it set me free! It allowed me the chance to leave behind everything that was ever wrong with my life! An opportunity to explore; not necessarily "boldly going where no man has gone before" but definitely a sense of adventure!

Since then I've also owned a car, but it's true when they say that a car cannot give you that sense of freedom like a bike. That exhilarating feeling of the wind hitting your face! And now, I'm reliving that experience...with my spanking new Bajaj Avenger, 200cc cruiser! She's only 6 days old now and is the most beautiful shade of blue you've ever seen! I'm calling her Moody Blues because it also reflects how I feel a lot of the time. Amdist all the randomness of this blog, I'm also going to be throwing in posts of our adventures together.

For now though, home beckons and Moody Blues is waiting patiently for me!   

4 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Julian said...

I posted that write up yesterday evening in a hurry before I left for home. Hence the silly error! Thanks for pointing it out bro!

Anonymous said...

Hey! "Moody Blues" looks cool!! You seems to be growing younger with every passing year :-)

Just a question, though... how are you going to find the time to ride it??!!!

abhilash warrier said...

Biking is the next best thing to backpacking.