Thursday, December 31, 2009

On the brink of a new year

So another year almost over and done with, and I can hardly believe it! It is actually possible that time can fly when you're NOT having fun!

I was watching a movie the other day, called Peaceful Warrior. One of the scenes had Nick Nolte explaining to the hero how his performance as a gymnast was affected by his inability to live in the present. Watching that scene, I realized how closely this applies to my life. More often than not, my ability to enjoy life has been affected by my inability to live in the present! My thoughts are more often centered on past hurts, mistakes made, opportunities missed, while my present just keeps ticking away until--before I know it--it's that time of the year when I have to make new resolutions so that life can be more fulfilling.

Just this morning, I learned a little lesson about living in the present. I was getting ready for work and, as usual, was lost in my own thoughts. Beth was calling out to me to show me something. I didn't realize that she had been going "Dada, Dada" and trying to get my attention until she finally called out "Joolin". Now, I don't want her to get into the habit of calling me by my first name, so I immediately looked up and was about to say "Call me Dada, not Julian!" But Lisa pointed out how it wasn't Beth's fault. Beth had figured out that the best way to get my attention was to call me "Joolin" and I would look up to correct her!

So, if I had to make a resolution this year it would have to be to try and live in the present at all times. Hopefully, I'll be happier by next year and a better dad in all the small ways.

1 comment:

abhilash warrier said...

Oh Peaceful Warrior... that was a pretty good movie.

Loved the transition you made from one event to another...